ASSISTANT CATERING DIRECTORFor our client in New Haven, Connecticut
Are you looking to elevate your hospitality career? See yourself as an innovative team player? If you answered yes, you may have found your next great opportunity. HMG+, the Tri-State’s leading hospitality staffing service, is recruiting a dynamic professional for our client at the nation’s top Ivy League school.
As the Assistant Catering Director, you are dedicated, well-rounded, and love all things food and hospitality! Reporting to the Managing Director of Catering, this position provides support and leadership in planning, producing, managing and executing excellence in operations of university catered events. You will provide leadership for professional and service staff to ensure high-quality catering standards are successfully implemented to create memorable guest experiences. If this sounds a great fit for you, apply today to begin your placement process.
- With Catering leadership team, plans and develops event concepts, formulates service methodology and cost for catered events.
- Coordinates services, rentals (tables, chairs, and linens), buy-outs (flowers, props), AV, entertainment and other related requirements.
- Manages, supervises and coordinates the activities of catering staff including culinary team, captains, servers, etc.
- With Catering leadership team, participates in weekly staff meetings, ongoing training guidance on work rules, service standards (banquet, buffet, and drop-off), practical functions, customer service and operational excellence.
- Oversees the implementation of Yale Hospitality policy; ensures that policies are being uniformly carried out and recommends changes and revisions to policies and procedures.
- Manages the planning, preparation, production and delivery of catered events in compliance with established university departmental policies and procedures.
- Fosters, enhances and maintains excellent professional relationships with clients, guests, alumni and other stakeholders.
- Actively sells catered events and products by establishing relationships within the Yale marketplace.
- Responsible for creating extraordinary experiences for customers.
- Responsible for attendance and weekly payroll processing for all employees.
- Manages event ordering systems software and billing processes and provides sales summary reports as required.
- Coordinates events with other university departments such as, facilities, police and security, access control, media services and others as needed or required.
- Manages strict adherence to sanitation policies and procedures as well as proper food handling procedures.
- Maintain University policies and procedures.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree and two years of previous hospitality and/or catering management experience or an equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Utilizes exceptional communication skills to interact effectively with clients and other university stakeholders.
- Strong leadership, oral, and written communication.
- Strong computer skills, preferably in Microsoft Suite, client retention management, catering management software and Menu Management Systems.
- Ability to effectively supervise and train a diverse work staff.
- Ability to work flexible and demanding hours.
- Sustained standing, frequent bending, able to lift materials weighing up to 25 pounds without assistance to waist height and 20 pounds to shoulder height.
- COVID-19 vaccination requirement
- College or university dining service experience preferred.
- Large volume offsite catering experience.
- Experience managing bargaining unit employees.
HOW TO APPLY
HMG+ asks that along with your resume, please attach a cover letter.
Please note, only applicants with a full cover letter and resume will be considered. Any spelling or grammatical errors will immediately remove your application from consideration.